From: Mike Hibler [mailto:mike@flux.utah.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:21 AM
To: Cui, Cheng
Cc: 'Mike Hibler'; testbed-admins@flux.utah.edu
Subject: Re: [Testbed-admins] Question about update MFS

Let me review where I think we are.  Your problem is that the machine won't
load the disk because our disk loader MFS cannot find the disk.  Is that
correct?  However, in the dmesg output you just sent, that kernel found the
disk.  It looks like what you sent is from a kernel that booted off the disk
and is not the admin MFS?

Anyway, the system that did boot appear to have the ACPI module loaded
and I cannot tell for the MFS system that did not boot.  So lets see if it
is ACPI related.

First, make sure ACPI is enabled, and being loaded, in your MFS.  It should
be enabled by default, but go ahead and check.  In /tftpboot/frisbee/boot
(or /tftpboot/freebsd/boot if you have node_admin turned on) look in
loader.conf.orig and make sure:

acpi_load="YES"
hint.acpi.0.disabled=0

are not commented out.  Rerun the prepare script there just to be sure.
Then, when the MFS is loading, you should see something like:

/boot/kernel/kernel.ko text=0x30acb0 data=0x52834+0x3f1b4 syms=[0x4+0x41160]
/boot/kernel/acpi.ko text=0x44e9c data=0x24e0+0x1b8c syms=[0x4+0x7dd0]

on the console.  If you don't see the second line, then acpi is not
configured.

If this is an older machine, it is possible that you need to have ACPI
turned
*off* rather than on.  In that case, go back to loader.conf.orig and
uncomment
the lines:

#acpi_load="NO"
#hint.acpi.0.disabled=1