[Testbed-admins] Question about update MFS

Hello,

Due to hardware features, I have one machine that seems not compatible with current 5.0 version MFS. I have found one link which looks like outdated but I still get something beneficial from it. http://users.emulab.net/trac/emulab/wiki/UpdateMFS

However, there is one question I am not clear with. In your source code of testbed-080901\tftpboot folder, I read the MFS notification. It said every MFS has a kernel with addition of emulab component, such as:

- MROUTING

- HZ=1000

- IPOD (Emulab "ping of death" mod)

- EXT2FS (Linux filesystem support)

- MOUNTD_SUX_HACK (Emulab client-side NFS hack to avoid race in mountd)

But at the end, if installing a new kernel, it said that just cp a new kernel and prepare it will be right. So what does that new kernel mean? How can I modify and update my client FreeBSD with emulab component to generate a compatible MFS? Thanks.

Best Regards,

Cheng Cui

578-5445 • 231 Johnston Hall • Baton Rouge, LA 70803