Re: [Testbed-admins] nodes with no control interface

I was able to resolve this problem by specifying the link between the nodes as a lan rather than a duplex-link.
I'm assuming this means there is an issue with assigning delay nodes.
Any thoughts on why using a lan versus link between the nodes would fix the issue?

Harley Green
Network Systems Department
The Aerospace Corporation
(310) 336-0772

Mike Hibler <mike@flux.utah.edu>

03/06/2009 08:06 AM

Harley S Green <Harley.S.Green@aero.org>
cc
testbed-admins@flux.utah.edu
Subject

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 05:10:14PM -0800, Harley S Green wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm trying to add several nodes that have no control interface. They
> simply have two experimental interfaces. Does the current version of
> emulab allow for this?
> In other words, I've added everything for these nodes like other custom
> hardware like routers that we have. Except I did not create a control
> interface for them in the database.
> When I got to swap them in I get an error saying it could not map the
> nodes.
>
> Failed to find a set of physical testbed nodes to run your experiment
> on. This might mean that there are not enough nodes or switch resources
> free, or your experiment might require certain hardware which is not
> available.  If you believe this message is in error, contact
> testbed-ops@users2.sntb.aero.org.
>
> However, I verified that the hardware I fixed it to in the NS file is the
> name of the node I want. So I suspect since the only thing different that
> I can see is that these nodes don't have a control interface that maybe
> emulab is looking for that and since it can't find it, it (emulab swap in
> process) dies... Is that correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Harley Green
> Network Systems Department
> The Aerospace Corporation
> (310) 336-0772

While I don't know of anything off-hand, it is completely believable that
there is a problem with not having a control interface.

Can you run this command on your boss node:

                /usr/testbed/libexec/assign_wrapper -n -v $pid $eid

and send us the output as well as the .top and .ptop files it generates
(in the directory where you run the command)?