[Testbed-admins] nodes with no control interface

Greetings,
I'm trying to add several nodes that have no control interface. They simply have two experimental interfaces. Does the current version of emulab allow for this?
In other words, I've added everything for these nodes like other custom hardware like routers that we have. Except I did not create a control interface for them in the database.
When I got to swap them in I get an error saying it could not map the nodes.

Failed to find a set of physical testbed nodes to run your experiment
on. This might mean that there are not enough nodes or switch resources
free, or your experiment might require certain hardware which is not
available.  If you believe this message is in error, contact
testbed-ops@users2.sntb.aero.org.

However, I verified that the hardware I fixed it to in the NS file is the name of the node I want. So I suspect since the only thing different that I can see is that these nodes don't have a control interface that maybe emulab is looking for that and since it can't find it, it (emulab swap in process) dies... Is that correct?

Thanks,
Harley Green
Network Systems Department
The Aerospace Corporation