[gits] Branch Help

For the benefit of everyone else: off-list, what we discovered was that the master branch was getting rebased onto the topic branch (aptui), rather than vice versa. This resulted in extra ?copies? of the commits on master also showing up in the aptui branch. When trying to merge, these duplicated commits were causing problems. The solution was to make a new topic branch that contained only the commits that were supposed to be there, omitting all of the duplicated commits that were already in the master branch.

How exactly this happened, we are not sure.