Re: [csmith-dev] version 7d6fae9: x = x = .;

Function return is a implicit sequence point in C99 (while in C++ it is explicit). Therefore in the case of x = f(x = 2), I believe there are actually two sequence points to make it defined

x == 2

--------  sequence point 1

-------  sequence point 2

x = return value of f

I was actually thinking of the same question: how does the sequence point, a cryptic feature of C/C++, be useful to other languages, from a random program generator’s point of view. Currently the sequence point rules are hardcoded in Csmith. I believe we have to separate out that part, and the effect analysis associated with it, to make Csmith extendable to other languages.

-Xuejun