Cindy Tittle Moore,
If you need to induce vomiting, first make sure that it's appropriate
to do so. Don't induce vomiting
To induce vomiting:
- more than two hours after ingesting problematic substance
- when the substance is an acid, alkali, solvent, or petroleum product,
as it will do as much damage on the way up as it did the way down
- when dog is comatose or very depressed
Check the emergency room of the local hospital and ask for the number
of the local Poison Control Center. You should have this number up on
the refrigerator alongside the vet's number and the emergency care
The National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC) provides a 24-hour
emergency hotline that every dog owner should keep in plain sight.
The hotline numbers are (800)548-2423 and (900)680-0000. The 800
number requires a credit card number and charges a flat $30; the 900
number is $2.95 per minute for a maximum of $30.
- 1 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide per 30lbs body weight; give once,
repeat after ten minutes; don't administer more than three times;
some dogs will drool and look miserable before vomiting
- 1 teaspoon syrup of Ipecac per 10lbs body weight; works quickly
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt placed far back on the tongue or dissolved
in 1 oz water; do not repeat dosage; dry mustard powder (s
instructions) may be substituted
The NAPCC is a non-profit service of the University of Illinois and is
the first animal-oriented poison center in the United States. Since
1978, it has provided advice to animal owners and conferred with
veterinarians about poisoning exposures. The NAPCC's phones are
answered by licensed veterinarians and board-certified veterinary
toxicologists. They have specialized information that lets the
experienced NAPCC staff make specific recommendations for your
animals; plus over 250,000 records are in their database.
When you call, be ready to provide:
Household products and plants are the most common culprits in poisoning
cases. In the case of poisoning from household products, many companies
cover the costs the pet owners incur when it has been determined that
their product is responsible for the reaction.
- Your name, address, and phone number;
- If calling the 800 number, your credit card number;
- The species, breed, age, sex, weight, and number of animals involved;
- The poison your animals have been exposed to, if known;
- Information concerning the poisoning (the amount of poison, the time
since exposure, etc.); and
- The problems your animals are experiencing.
For further information, write to: The American Humane Association, 63
Inverness Drive East, Englewood, CO 80112-5117, or call (303)
Chocolate, tea, coffee, cola:
It is not chocolate itself that is poisonous to dogs, it is the
theobromine, a naturally occuring compound found in chocolate.
Theobromine causes different reactions to different dogs: dogs with
health problems, especially epilepsy, are more affected by theobromine
than healthy dogs. Theobromine can trigger epileptic seizures in dogs
prone to or at risk of epilepsy. The size of the dog will also be a
major factor: the smaller the dog, the more affected it is by the same
amount than a larger dog. Therefore, toxicity is described on a mg/Kg
Furthermore, theobromine can cause cardiac irregularity, especially if
the dog becomes excited. Cardiac arythmia can precipitate a
myocardial infarct which can kill the dog.
Theobromine also irritates the GI tract and in some dogs can cause
internal bleeding which in some cases kills them a day or so later.
Theobromine is also present in differing amounts in different kinds of
chocolate. milk chocolate has 44-66 mg/oz, dark chocolate 450 mg/oz
and baking/bitter chocolate or cocoa powder varies as much as 150-600
mg/oz. How much chocolate a dog can survive depends on its weight
(and other unknown circumstances). Under 200 mg theobromine per kg
body weight no deaths have been observed.
Theobromine will stay in the bloodstream between 14 and 20 hours. It
goes back into the bloodstream through the stomach lining and takes a
long time for the liver to filter out.
Within two hours of ingestion, try inducing vomiting unless your dog
is markedly stimulated, comatose, or has lost the gag reflex. If your
dog has eaten a considerable amount of chocolate, or displays any of
the above symptoms, take it to the vet without delay.
In the absence of major symptoms, administer activated charcoal. The
unabsorbed theobromine will chemically bond to this and be eliminated
in the feces. In pinch, burnt (as in thoroughly burnt, crumbling in
hand) toast will do.
Walnuts are poisonous to dogs and should be avoided. In
particular, there is a type of fungus common to walnuts (especially
wet deadfall walnuts) that will cause severe episodes of seizuring.
Many nuts are not good for dogs in general, their high phosporous
content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones.
Onions, especially raw onions, have been shown to trigger hemolytic
anemia in dogs.
(Stephen J Ettinger, D.V.M and Edward C. Fieldman, D.V.M. 's book:
Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine vol. 2 pg 1884.) Also:
"Six Cases of Heinz Body Haemolytic Anaemia Induced by Onion and/or
Garlic Ingestion" - CM Edwards and CJ Belford Aust.Vet.Prac. 26
(1) March 1996, 18-22.
Potato poisonings among people and dogs have occurred. Solanum
alkaloids can be found in in green sprouts and green potato skins,
which occurs when the tubers are exposed to sunlight during growth or
after harvest. The relatively rare occurrence of actual poisoning is
due to several factors: solanine is poorly absorbed; it is mostly
hydrolyzed into less toxic solanidinel; and the metabolites are
quickly eliminated. Note that cooked, mashed potatoes are fine for
dogs, actually quite nutritious and digestible.
Turkey skin is currently thought to cause acute pancreatis in dogs.
In assessing the risk to your dog from these plants, you need to consider
both the age of your dog and it's propensity to chew on plants. Many of
the below toxic plants rarely cause problems because most dogs don't chew
them -- the exceptions being, of course, young puppies who are inclined
to explore the world with their mouths, teething dogs who may chew on
everything, and older dogs that are simply fond of chewing.
for example, is rather toxic, but most cases of poisoning involve
1) cattle, other grazing livestock 2) puppies and 3) human babies/toddlers.
Dumb cane is probably the one plant that should always be kept out of
reach, since it takes only one nibble to have a potentially fatal
(from Carlson & Giffin.)
(from Carlson & Giffin.)
- That give rash after contact with the skin or mouth:
(mums might produce dermatitis)
chrysanthemum poinsettia creeping fig
weeping fig spider mum pot mum
- Irritating (toxic oxalates), especially the mouth gets swollen;
tongue pain; sore lips; some swell so quickly a tracheotomy is
needed before asphyxiation:
arrowhead vine majesty boston ivy
neththytis ivy colodium pathos
emerald duke red princess heart leaf (philodendron)
split leaf (phil.) saddle leaf (phil.) marble queen
- Toxic plants - may contain wide variety of poisons. Most cause
vomiting, abdominal pain, cramps. Some cause tremors, heart and
respiratory and/or kidney problems, which are difficult for
owner to interpret:
amaryllis elephant ears pot mum
asparagus fern glocal ivy ripple ivy
azalea heart ivy spider mum
bird of paradise ivy sprangeri fern
creeping charlie jerusalem cherry umbrella plant
crown of thorns needlepoint ivy
Produce vomiting and diarrhea in some cases:
delphinium poke weed indian tobacco
daffodil bittersweet woody wisteria
castor bean ground cherry soap berry
indian turnip fox glove skunk cabbage
- May produce vomiting, abdominal pain, and in some cases diarrhea
horse chestnut buckeye western yew apricot, almond
rain tree monkey pod english holly peach, cherry
privet wild cherry mock orange
japanese plum american yew bird of paradise
balsam pear english yew black locust
- Varied toxic effect
rhubarb buttercup moonseed
spinach nightshade may apple
sunburned potatoes poison hemolock dutchman's breeches
tomato vine jimson weed mescal bean
loco weed pig weed angel's trumpet
lupine water hemlock jasmine
dologeton mushrooms matrimony vine
marijuana periwinkle morning glory
peyote nutmeg loco weed
china berry nux vomica coriaria
water hemlock moon weed
Boric Acid Metal Polish
Brake Fluid Mineral Spirits
Carbon Monoxide Mothballs
Carbuerator Cleaner Nail Polish and Remover
Christmas Tinsel Paint & Remover
Cleaning Fluid Perm Solutions
Detergents Photo Developer
Disinfectants Rat Poison
Drain Cleaner Rubbing Alcohol
Dye Shoe Polish
Fungicides Sleeping Pills
Furniture Polish Soaps
Gasoline Suntan Lotions
Hair Colorings Tar
Insecticides Windshield Fluid
Bufo toads. Found in various areas, especially in south Florida.
Very poisonous -- it can kill a small dog in a matter of minutes. It
burns the mucous membrane of the mouth (gums) which is why they drool
and foam, and that's also how it enters the bloodstream. It kills by
elevating the heart rate and blood pressure to deadly levels, similar
to the effects of chocolate. There is an antidote and the effects can
be lessened if you immediately flush the dog's mouth with water before
taking it to the vet.
Canine Medical Information, Part II FAQ
Cindy Tittle Moore,