Re: Bell potty training

At 06:14 PM 10/12/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Linda and Perry
>Would you please train us to train our dogs to ring a bell at the door to
>go out?  Tell us how you started this and how it works for you?

It's been so long since we trained Iris, and Iris trained Angel ;-)  Let's
see if I can remember.....

At Christmas time, stores carry bells you can hang over your door
that are on a leather strap.  Also, stores like Pier One have imported
bells that hang on cords.  Hang the bells over the door handle where
the dogs go in and out to potty.

You have to watch your dog carefully for the first few days.  When it
heads towards the door, and before it barks or puppy piddles, take
a treat (and a clicker) over to the door.  Encourage your dog to hit
the strap of bells by luring them and their nose with the treat.

Click when they come close to the strap or if their nose hits the
strap.  Let them outside.  Reward them with a treat when they come
back in.

Gradually start rewarding only for those nose nudges that make
the bells ring loud enough that you can hear it elsewhere in the
house.

If you reinforce this every time your golden goes out to potty, within
a week (probably sooner with this smart crew of puppies), your dog
will start nosing the bells to get your attention.

And considering how clever these puppies have proven to be, I'm
sure you're going to have some fun experiences as they learn how
to ring the bell to go look outside and see something, or to earn a
extra treat.  Our girls had our housesitter trained in three days to
let them out every half hour.  When we're home, we've taught them
no treats unless it's a REAL potty break :-)))

Any questions?

Linda

Linda Shipman
Juneau, Alaska