Re: Torrey and Maple's 3000 mile Thanksgiving trip

At 10:19 PM 11/28/01 -0800, you wrote:

>Well, we did it.  Our first *very* long car trip with the dogs, 3000
>miles in total once we were done, and the dogs did great!

Wow sounded like a fun trip, minus the hitch hiking fleas you posted me
about...

  Question for the list, is anyone having problems with Frontline not
working for their dogs as well?

I noted to Leigh and Renee who wrote to me about flea attacks on the Dopey
Duo, on this trip even though they had used Frontline  the product talked
about here last summer with some question/concern it's called Cap Star.  I
have not been able to find out any real negative about this product and of
course I always air on the side of way cautious with any chemical,
regardless of if it's organic in nature or not.  I never assume because
something is organic or "natural" that it can't be toxic.  But this product
assuming it's safe, which I have not been able to confirm or not, sound to
me to be a good thing to have on trips such as this one.   How Cap Star
works is:  It's a pill that you give and with in 30 minutes any flea on the
dog is dead.  It has no residual affect so it needs to be regarded like a
flea bath in a pill so to speak.   But the use would be good to prevent
transferring "your fleas" to some one else or fleas picked up on an outing
are not brought home as unwelcome guests. Sounds a heck of a lot easier
than finding a wash and go on a trip.

I am going to see Dr. Doug tomorrow, dogs in tow for hip and elbow
screening prelims:

Ember who is 1 year now!!!  DiTTo, who yes is can you believe it is now 10
months old! Lucy, 8 mos now and AmEx, 6 mos.  And we are going to re shoot
Twisters elbows too...  But anyway will talk with Doug about what he has
experienced with Cap Star as he does sell it at his clinic.  He has noted
to me that he is seeing failure rate with Advantage only working for 2 to 3
weeks of late and some resistance to Frontline as well.  We here have not
had a problem with Frontline not working.

Glad to hear the Dopey Duo were well accepted where they went and were nice
and social with other canines and human little ones!  We are very prod of
both of our fur grand kids!   It's hard to believe it was two years ago
this month that Torrey came to stay here after being a latch key dog in his
previous life as "Alex".  Not well socialized and with baggage that Leigh
and Renee have taken the time to work with and show him the love and
affection he so deserves.  Some of you might not know Torreys story, he was
a rescue, no more, now he rescues two wonderful hearts!  Here is a link to
his page that tells his story: by Leigh and Renee:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~stoller/torrey/

Also on Torrey, he is mildly dysplastic, which was discovered at about age
2.5 (?) when he started having some lameness issues after heavy
exercise.  Leigh and Renee have been medically managing his dysplasia and I
am curious guys how are things going?  Will you when you have the time
recap to the list what you have been doing to manage Torrey?

Gina