Re: "Proofing", was: Two Trick Pony (Sophie's CD -NOT)

In a message dated 7/23/2001 6:20:55 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
bdmcfail@alaska.net writes:

For example, a wonderful proofing exercise is to put them in a sit/stay and
roll
a tennis ball across the floor in front of them.

Deb,

Does this work even when the dog is totally tenny ball possessed?  <g>   We
are seriously considering a stab at a run for a CD with one of our boys (Jake
-- half brother to Gina's Meg) this fall.  He loves his tenny balls, so this
would probably be a really good "test" for him proofing wise.

This is a GReat thread... I'm enjoying hearing all about the obedience tips!
Before Rick and I got together, he used to show our oldest boy "Michelob" in
obedience... until Mich got to be the "disobedient" dog (long story).  He
also used to do agility and tracking with Mich, but found that he distracted
too easily.

So... our best shot out of our 4 goldens at a competition sport is Jake.  He
did very well with Rick in obedience classes & does seem to focus on things
quite well (aside from being pretty "high strung").  He was our conformation
boy for a while.  Gina mentioned it a while back -- that Jake did quite well
in the GRCA National competition in Seattle in September of '98.  He took 2nd
in sweepstakes in his class under a very renowned & respected judge (we think
he scented Rick & I on the sidelines towards the end & he lost focus).  He &
his litter brother "Jazz", helped their Dam "Jordan" WIN the brood bitch
competition!  This, when his mom was not a finished bitch & up against some
pretty stiff competition!  (Gina will probably back me on this one & back my
"brag" by saying that Jake had a big part in this win)!  But alas, we had
some aggression issues with Jake between him & Austin -- so we decided it was
in the best interest of the family that we neuter him & rid him of his
"testosterone poisoning".  :-)  Best thing we ever did for him too, as he is
4 now & a much happier dog!

Gosh, that got long... so sorry!  I'm just really enjoying this thread &
wanted to share!

Yanna