Re: IIene plays the field...

No not nasty! Gosh, I was hoping to get a title on Rocket for this. Now,
I do not know if I ever can. Not because of him, he has the drive, it is
ME!! That is such devotion and dedication to training. I am so pooped
after working all day. This is everyday training. Gosh, those dogs are
like people, they just are so smart, it is almost like they human.
 The dogs are sent out at senior level for  three ducks. One is blind,
they did not see it fall. One is dropped at the line which they can see,
and then almost immediately a second is shot in flight where they see
it. They are expected to go get the shot bird, then to remember where
the first one was dropped. They usually have to depend on their handler
for instructions for this bird. It is done  with commands and whistles.
The handler will blow the whistle if the dog is off mark. The dog will
turn, sit and wait for instructions, such as over, go out, left , right.
It is amazing that if the field grass is too high for the dog to see
it's handler, it will come back to a spot to where it can see , and then
sit for instructions.
 The third duck is totally done by listening for instructions from the
handler, as the dog has no idea where the duck is. Gosh, I was totally
astounded to watch these dogs perform!

                           Ilene

--
Ilene Cook