something I need from all of YOU

Hi All,

As the numbers of goldens increase I am becoming more alarmed about overall quality of the breed and health.  I don't place many dogs in show homes where it's a given that the dogs will be screened for health related issues such as hip and elbow dysplasia eye problems or heart problems.  While there has not been cause for alarm with Brier dogs meaning very few dogs we have produced have presented with outward signs that there is a reason to look, moving forward I think for the breed going on it's popularity,  it's time to start asking even the pet homes to start doing some screening.  I realize that not everyone is going to want to participate in this in hind sight study I am purposing and I do not intend on applying pressure on any of you but if I don't ask then what do I gain?  So please read this over and if you would like to discuss it on the list let's!  If you would prefer to write me privately please do.

Gina :-)

What it means to have a Golden Retriever

Most people who look to this breed want to have one or two to share the lives because they make great family pets.  While this is true, there is more to owning a golden than simply providing a wonderful home.  This is a very popular breed, #2 in AKC registrations.  This places responsibility for care-taking on all of us.   When you choose to bring a golden into your life you should consider yourself a steward to the breed.  Whether we are breeders or not, show or not we owe it to the dogs to be fair responsible and equitable to the breed.

One aspect of being a steward to this breed is that all of us have to help maintain the health of the breed.  I think I’ve done a good job conveying  my desire to produce healthy, happy dogs.  But to continue to do that, breeders like myself need our puppy people to help.  I’m confident that the breedings I’m doing produce great tempered, healthy dogs, but some of that requires verification.  In the past it's not been standard to ask/require pet homes to do health certifications, however I believe it's time to start.  Where you can help with this is to plan to have your dog cleared for hips and elbows, heart and eyes, as I do with our breeding dogs.  The extended information of prodigy and siblings is valuable information.  The health issues that this breed has, coupled with the popularity and the lack of information avail is simply due to the fact that many of these dogs are placed as pets who are not cleared for health concerns.  I feel that its time for change if this breed is to maintain it's reputation of a sturdy dog, happy healthy pet.

What does it mean to you, as pet owner?  Mainly, it is cost.  To have the hips and elbows done, it’s generally somewhere between $100-$200, depending on the veterinarian you use.  Your regular vet may not be your best option for this procedure and I can provide you with a referral to a vet who works with breeders to insure that you are working with a veterinarian who has the expertise in this field.  Not all vets have a lot of experience in x-raying hips and elbows for the specific purpose of submission to the OFA . To have eyes checked can range anywhere from approximately $20 at a CERF eye clinic to $40-$50 at a veterinary ophthalmologist’s office.  Again, I will try to help you find CERF clinics in your area if you need me to do so.  Or if you live close enough to me you can come here when I have the ophthalmologist come out to check our dogs yearly.  Heart clearances are normally done by board certified veterinarian cardiologist and a cardiologist can be hard to come by.  Therefore since most vets can detect murmurs I do not see the need to ask you to seek out a cardiologist, however if you choose to do this please contact me for help with a referral.  There may be a problem with availability of a cardiologist in some areas and you may not be able to provide this information as easily as some of the other info.

It’s very important to me to have as much information as possible on each puppy I produce which should be important to you as well.  It will help me to plan future breedings as well as helping other breeders plan their breedings.  I will want to know if your golden gets sick or has any problems so I can incorporate as much information as possible to move forward with only producing healthy goldens.  As you know, I am concerned about this breed overall. Again, I feel it's time to make changes in the requirements of the past where breeders did not require those who simply want a pet to love and have not conveyed the importance of clearances on seemingly healthy pets.

 In the past I have not required clearances of my pet homes, as it has not been standard in the breed to ask this of pet homes. My mentors in the breed have not advocated this, but now as I step into the shoes of mentor I feel this is important, for the breed, therefore I am asking you to please consider compliance.  Please contact me for more specific information.

For those of you who already live with Brier dogs I totally understand if you do not wish to follow though with this new requirement and I do not intend to put pressure on you to comply.  However, I would hope that you would contact me for further discussion if you are feeling uneasy or pressured.  I do want to stress this is not due to any reported problems with Brier dogs but simply growth on my part as a responsible breeder.  This is an additional commitment on my part, an effort to insure that the past moves forward with a positive with continued good heath of the breed in mind.

For those of you just now considering a Brier dog, if any of the above seems too stringent for you, or too difficult, that’s okay. It’s not a bad thing if you don’t think you are capable, and perhaps you should consider another breed or breeder.  For me though, it is important that you understand the commitment you need to make to me, to the breed and to a puppy.