Clearances

Hi All,

On Patty's question about doing clearances on pets, IIene is correct, most
pet's are not screened for the things breeding dogs are screened for as a
matter of course.  However if there was to be an apparent issue come up
within a litter a breeder might request to have the litter screened and
offer compensation for that, I do make a notation about this in the sales
agreement:

 >>In order for the Seller to maintain a quality breeding program, Buyer
will allow Seller to obtain an OFA evaluation of the dog no later than
Thirty (30) months of age, an examination of the dogs eyes by a Board
Certified Veterinarian Ophthalmologist and a cardiac evaluation by a Board
Certified Veterinarian Cardiologist at sellers option and expense. Seller
will furnish copies of said reports to Buyer. Buyer also agrees Seller is
not responsible to obtain these clearances, and if Buyer obtains
clearances, he will forward copies to Seller.<<

  The data that is furnished by screening is valuable info to a breeding
program on the other hand so is just clinical signs that the dogs appear
healthy, so no please don't concern your self about going into the cost of
doing x-rays on apparently healthy dogs, though the data would be very much
appreciated.  Here is an estimate of cost in Oregon:  hip and elbow x-rays:
$165.00 vet fee, and $35.00 for reading by the OFA.  Heart clearance done
only by Dr. Gary Wood who is a  Veterinary Cardiologist in Portland $35.00,
and eyes are $30.00 done by a  Veterinary Ophthalmologist.

  IIene is also correct that not just any vet should do the x-rays for
screening of OFA quality films.  Only vets who do a fair number of dogs for
OFA evaluation should be considered.  I do not even use my regular vet for
my orthopedic consults, I use Aloha Dog and Cat for this and if for any
reason any of you here local would need a vet to do diagnostics that would
include orthopedic x-rays I would highly recommend, strongly urge you to
consider going to see this vet or Jay Stewart at Amumsville Vet clinic.  I
use to use Jay but I went to Aloha once as was so pleased with Doug's work
that I switched over with out hesitation.  Though I would use Jay if I
could not get into Doug.

For any issue of limping please contact me prior to going to see your
regular vet unless he is one of these two vets, or Bill and Gin's vet over
in Astoria, seriously, it's quite possible that by going to seeing your
regular vet you not doing your self any favors nor your wallet.  Often
x-rays taken by good but not as experienced vets who have an interest in
radiology are poor in quality, positioning can be off, the exposure is
often not good, a multitude of issues can be added up and you may end up
paying for more x-rays down the road if the first films are not of good
quality.  I have attached to this post a picture I took of TRiX hip x-ray
on the reader board for an example of good hips and great quality of
technique and positioning, notice how straight the tail bone is and how
sharp the image is all of this gives the radiologist their best advantage
of a proper diagnosis.

So anyway in closing, thanks for being concerned about your dogs and for
taking such good care of them.

Gina :-)

hips.jpg