permission and I can't imagine Jeff would not want me to share this however
till I get permission from Jeff I ask that you not share this post with
anyone...   This was sent to the big golden list.

IDate: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:16:48 EST
From: Jeff Jeff Jeff
Subject: Jo
It's been a week now since Jo has passed.

I just wanted to thank all of those who responded by private or list e-mail.
It's been a horrible experience, as are all deaths of loved ones.
The outpouring of support from this list was amazing. Overwhelming
sometimes. Most of you said things like "there is nothing I could say to
make you feel better" and it was true, but by the mere fact that you took
the time to write the note, it showed that you cared and helped me immensely
no matter how momentary it was.
I have never had a dog necropsied before. I told my vet that it *had* to be
done to determine Jo's exact cause of death. I owed it to all of those who
have his kids, grandkids and on down the line. I also felt like I owed it to
the breeders who will evaluate and scrutinize pedigrees to determine the
worthiness of the line. We all have those things that we would prefer to NOT
admit, but then, in the end; we just hurt ourselves if we don't. I couldn't
bear the thought of rumors starting about Jo, and I truly despise those who
start them about other dogs. What is more appaling to me are those breeders
and/or owners who shroud their dogs death in secrecy. How can anyone make an
educated decision to breed or use a line when there are unanswered questions
in the background? It's something we should all consider. We promote good
health in life and we should help to promote it in death.
Jo died of hemangiosarcoma. Jo was literally rittled with cancer. It
affected his heart, lungs, kidneys, liver and spleen. One of the tumors on
his spleen ruptured, which caused him to lose half of his blood into his
abdomen within a matter of hours. Jo went from perfectly healthy to a
dream-like euphoric state. He never showed any pain and remained semi-alert,
but conscious. He looked as though he was just incredibly tired. His gums,
tongue and nose had lost their color. Within a matter of minutes his heart
was racing, trying to pump enough blood from his dimished supply. I had 2
courses of action that I could take, one was to let him go and the other was
to transfuse him. I opted for the transfusion, but only 50ml's into it, I
stopped it and made the decision to let Jo go with dignity and grace. Jo
died quietly in my arms. No struggle and no apprehension. He had done his
job here and done it well. It was time for him to move on and it wasn't my
place to try to stop his natural progression.
I tend to be a very spiritual person. It's a private side that not to
many know about me. I felt as though I did right by Jo, as he had done by me
throughout the years. He has come by to visit many times since last
Saturday. Just to brush past and feel his energy, then off again to new
frontiers. Jo has a zest for life, and I say "has" for a reason. I don't
believe we vanish into nothingness, we are just transformed into a different
form of energy. God help those who have to entertain him now. He was too
smart here and I'm sure the same is true there, wherever there is.
One of my dear friends has moved on and I am happy that I had the opportunity
to know and love him.
Thank you Jo,
Love Jeff and the girls