Raw and suppliers

Hi All, (disregard if your not feeding raw and or don't live in the area)

It is becoming increasingly evident to me that we are going to need to form
a co-op to get our best deals on meat.  Western Boxed meats has made a
statement:  They do not work with individuals.  Now I have an account with
them and they are not going to cut me off but those needing small qualities
are not going to get in there and they don't even want to be asked...

So we need to brain storm on this.  Here is what I have to offer info wise:

I have room to store freezers, and have a large truck.

As it stands I need to buy an new bigger freezer to replace one I have
which is a waste.

  George goes up to WBM after work when we need meat which significantly
reduces transport cost.

WBM closes at 4:30 PM is only open Monday through Friday so George has to
take off early to do this and it must come off with out any hitches.

Here is a sample of what I pay for meat:

Turkey necks 30 to 40 pound boxes:  29 cents a pound

Chicken backs 30#  .32

Chicken hind quarters 40# .35

Pork neck bones 50#  .69

ground turkey: 20# (two 10 pound chubs) .69

ground chicken 20# ( two 10 pound chubs) .59

beef heart 50#  .60

beef liver 25# .60

Now here is how I see what we need:

If I am going to be the drop off point I need to invest in on to two more
freezers.

a. cost of purchase

b. maintenance/electricity

each family needs to have a freezer big enough to store 3 months of meat on
site for their personal use.

a schedule needs to be set for purchases

volunteers needed to make runs.  (this has some obstacles that will have to
be worked out)

a. large enough vehicle to make runs I use for instance about 1000 pounds
of meat in 3 months.

b. availability to pick up during WBM operation hours

c. it's my account and is cash and carry only so getting my check to them
has it's obstacles.

d. drop off point (s)  remember we are dealing with frozen perishable
product, heavy boxes, and others work schedules.

Ok brain tired here....  So take the ball and run...  I am all ears and
willing to help on this.  I can act as Team leader or as a facilitator here
but need team members.  Ok yes this is TQM approach, remember I use to
teach TQM: Total Quality Management ( Mobil Oil Corp.)

Other options as I see them for individuals no co op:

Contact your local grocery store meat manager in person and ask them to
cost out for you the above noted items.  Use an (IGA) independent over the
big ones like: Safeway, Fred Meyer these stores will sometimes help but I
have noticed they charge more and all their products come thought their own
distribution centers so there is like a third middle man here.  Safeway
here will order T necks but charge 69 cents a pound in bulk, more than I
think you should pay.

Roths which is an IGA will order (they use WBM btw) and mark up to 49 cents
a pound.  They can get anything that WBM has....  But your going to pay a
bit more.  However this might just weigh out cheaper for some than to come
down here to pick up meat.

You are going to have to put forth some effort here in finding a reliable
source.

Or I am just going to have to go into retail meat sales.  I may do this
really I might...  I of course will as well need to mark up meat if I
invest in freezers, and run the books on this.  I have no problem doing
this if I know there is going to be a market...

Ok give me your thoughts!

Gina:-)

Check your Mom Pop stores, butcher shops,