Re: [Testbed-admins] Node Reboot Control?

On 6/8/2010 9:54 AM, Leigh Stoller wrote:
I've noticed in creating my new nodes that, although the web interface
says it's rebooting the newly created node, no such reboot occurs. I've
got to reboot the node by hand in order to get get it to boot the admin
mfs.

What is boss doing to accomplish the re-boot? (Which is to say, what
have I got improperly configured now...?)

Try this on boss:

boss>  wap node_reboot -d pcXXX

and let us know what it says ... Odds are, it is an ssh key thing.
Have you localized the admin MFS?

When I run this at the boss command line (from console or ssh'd as root) it works just fine. Here's the console output:
----
[boss::~](11:02am) # wap node_reboot -d pc3
reboot (pc3): Attempting to reboot ...
reboot (pc3): /sbin/ping 0 returned 0
reboot (pc3): Trying ssh.
Connection to pc3.emulab.atcorp.priv closed by remote host.
reboot (pc3): reboot returned 65280.
reboot (pc3): Waiting to die off.
reboot (pc3): /sbin/ping 0 returned 0
reboot (pc3): /sbin/ping 1 returned 0
reboot (pc3): /sbin/ping 2 returned 0
reboot (pc3): /sbin/ping 3 returned 0
reboot (pc3): /sbin/ping 4 returned 0
reboot (pc3): /sbin/ping 5 returned 2
reboot (pc3): Died off.
reboot (pc3): Successful!
reboot: Done. There were 0 failures.
----

From the web interface nothing seems to happen.

As for "localizing" the admin mfs, I followed the instructions to generate a set of client ssh keys, installed them in /etc/ssh of the admin mfs image (ran prepare), and kept them around for use in other OS images later. Is that what you are referring to?

It occurs to me that the machine I rebooted from the command line had already booted the admin mfs, but the newly discovered/created node I'm operating on via the web is still running the freebsd.newnode mfs (until it reboots, of course). I don't think I put any keys into the freebsd.newnode image. Was I supposed to?