Re: [Testbed-admins] kernel memory leaks in FreeBSD NFS (patched)

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:43:50PM -0500, Adit Ranadive wrote:
> Im running FreeBSD 6.3 and I applied the patch to the nfs_serv.c file.
> I have 2 questions regarding the server faults:
>
> 1) After applying the patch and restarting ops I still see server faults
> increasing - am I forgetting to do something? compiling/installing
> (still new to freebsd)?
> It does say 'nfsserver is up to date' if you do make nfsserver.

You need to install the kernel with the updated nfsserver.

I'd have a look here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
In general, when doing a source upgrade you should follow these steps:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/makeworld.html

In general the FreeBSD handbook is very helpful for these sorts of
things.  I recommend it as a good place to start if you're new to
FreeBSD.  The handbook is at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/index.html

> 2) Could the server faults be increasing because of something else? Or
> is it just memory leaks? I havent seen an out of memory error yet on ops.

Server faults could be increasing for a variety of reasons, though we've
been running without one for 9 days or so (since we applied the patch).

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc