[Testbed-admins] Power controller or IPMI

Hello,

we are planning to set up an Emulab based testbed at our institute, consisting of approximately 40 nodes, and are currently considering the various hardware alternatives.

I have a question regarding the remote managed power controllers - if we install IPMI management cards in our servers, would it be possible to use these to power servers on/off, and just use standard power strips? In the Wiki, IPMI is mentioned only briefly, so I assume that the Emulab software does not support it out of the box - so my question is, do you believe that the approach to use IPMI is feasible? Do you know if something similar has been done before and how difficult do you think it will be to incorporate the IPMI support in the software?

Any info on the matter would be appreciated - many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Zdravko

--
Institute of Communications Technology (IKT)
Leibniz Universität Hannover

Tel: +49 (0) 511 762 2845
Fax: +49 (0) 511 762 3030
http://www.ikt.uni-hannover.de