Re: [Testbed-admins] problem with bge driver?

Leigh Stoller wrote:
Looking at the database definitions for the NICs in both pc3001 and
pcr200, I see no reason for the 100Mbs limitation.  Both have max
speed set to 1000.  These are the first testbed machines we're used
with the bge driver.

I allocated an r200 with default settings and got FC8 with a
100/full experimental link.  I forced the switchport to 1000,
bounced the interface, and ifconfig in FC8 showed that I was now at
1000/full.

Just curious, but what is in the current_speed slot of the interfaces
table for those experimental interfaces?

Want to first confirm that the DB says the right thing ...

Lbs

In the case of one node with no links defined, it doesn't plumb the experimental interface, and you get:

__________________________

mysql> select node_id,card,port,iface,role,current_speed,duplex from interfaces where node_id="pc51";
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
| node_id | card | port | iface | role | current_speed | duplex |
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
| pc51    |    0 |    1 | eth0  | ctrl |               | full   |
| pc51    |    1 |    1 | eth1  | expt | 0             | full   |
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+

--------- bgetest.ns --------
#generated by Netbuild 1.03
set ns [new Simulator]
source tb_compat.tcl

set node0 [$ns node]
tb-set-hardware $node0 pcr200

$ns rtproto Static
$ns run
#netbuild-generated ns file ends.

_________________________

If I allocate two r200s with a link between them:

--------- bgetest.ns --------
#generated by Netbuild 1.03
set ns [new Simulator]
source tb_compat.tcl

set node2 [$ns node]
tb-set-hardware $node2 pcr200
set node3 [$ns node]
tb-set-hardware $node3 pcr200

set link0 [$ns duplex-link $node2 $node3 100Mb 0ms DropTail]

$ns rtproto Static
$ns run
#netbuild-generated ns file ends.

mysql> select node_id,card,port,iface,role,current_speed,duplex from interfaces where node_id="pc51";
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
| node_id | card | port | iface | role | current_speed | duplex |
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
| pc51    |    0 |    1 | eth0  | ctrl |               | full   |
| pc51    |    1 |    1 | eth1  | expt | 100           | full   |
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select node_id,card,port,iface,role,current_speed,duplex from interfaces where node_id="pc53";
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
| node_id | card | port | iface | role | current_speed | duplex |
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
| pc53    |    0 |    1 | eth0  | ctrl |               | full   |
| pc53    |    1 |    1 | eth1  | expt | 100           | full   |
+---------+------+------+-------+------+---------------+--------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

__________________________________

If I modify the two node experiment to change the link speed to 1000Mb from the default 100Mb I end up with:

[snip]

Modify Error: tbswap update failed.
*** ERROR: swapexp: Update aborted; old state restored.
Cleaning up and exiting with status 1 ...
**** Experimental information, please ignore ****
Session ID = 542447
Likely Cause of the Problem:
  Failed to find a set of physical testbed nodes to run your experiment
  on. This might mean that there are not enough nodes or switch resources
  free, or your experiment might require certain hardware which is not
  available.  If you believe this message is in error, contact
  dkotz@cs.utexas.edu.

  Type precheck passed.
  Node mapping precheck succeeded
  Pruning pclasses.
  pclass pruning complete: removed 4 pclasses, 2 remain.
  Type precheck passed.
  Policy precheck succeeded
  Annealing.
  Adjusting dificulty estimate for fixed nodes, 0 remain.
  All nodes are fixed.  No annealing.
  Done
     BEST SCORE:  1.4 in 0 iters and 0.000653 seconds
    unassigned:  0
    pnode_load:  0
    no_connect:  1
    link_users:  0