Re: [Testbed-admins] query regarding MIB compatibility with the experiment switch

Rushing in where angels fear to tread, I'm goign to offer a couple
additional comments to what Robert Ricci said.

In dealing with Cisco support, I'd ask a more general question instead
like "I want to extend a 3rd party mangement tool for use with the
N5000's.  How do I create a vlan by SNMP - only and how do I put ports
in it?".

Asking "Does the N5000 support the VTP or STACK mibs" seems way too
specific.  And the reason why I would put it like that is that
in order to create a vlan by SNMP you often have to set a few things
at once, rather than in separate packets.  Just merely knowing
what MIBs are involved is not enough.

In order to develop support for the Nortel's and HP switches,
I ran the vendor-supplied management tool and contrived to do
a tcpdump of all the traffic to the switch in order to see how
the tool create vlans, populated them with ports, tore them down,
set port speed/duplex, and enabled/disabled ports.

Given that somebody from cisco was a co-author of the IETF P- and Q-
BRIDGE mibs, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the switch
uses (as the HP procurves do) to create name and populate vlans.

Even if it turns out that you can't create vlans on the N5000 by
SNMP (and there are some aspects of VLANS on HP's where you have to
use CLI to do it, like supporting jumbo frames), it will likely
be possbile to write a new backend snmpit_nexus.pm that talks to
the switch using perl Expect.  If the CLI for the nexus is anything
like CLI for every other kind of cisco switch, creating vlans
and populating them will be relatively straight forward, and querying
the switch for state will be a complete and utter nuisance.

(read royal PITA).

Regards,

Keith Sklower