Re: [Testbed-admins] Emulab Upgrade issues

Here at Testbed@Twisc, we've been trying to upgrade our Emulab
installation from version 4.105 to version 5.0.  We've examined
closely the database-migrate.txt document and have some
questions/issues that you can help us with.

First off, our methodology.  We built 'boss' and 'ops' on the new
server machine, and transferred these directories and files from our
old 4.104 installation to the new 5.0 server machine

Hi. So I do not think anyone has taken this approach before. We at
Utah have not. The upgrade path we recommend is on our installation
page:

https://users.emulab.net/trac/emulab/wiki/InstallRoot

See the link "Upgrading FreeBSD from 4.x or later to 6.3"

/etc/master.password

Be sure to run pwd_mkdb on both boss and ops:

boss> cp /etc/master.password /etc/master.new
boss> sudo pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.new

/etc/mail/aliases

Be sure to run "newaliases"

Hopefully we haven't missed anything.

You are blazing new territory ... so it is hard for us to know exactly
what you might have missed.

We ran into some issues
1) the new table 'emulab_pubs_month_map' is not mentioned anywhere
   in the database-migrate file. Can you provide some information on
   it ?

This is handled in database-migrate.txt at revision 4.156

2) many tables have changes to their index key and primary key, but
   database-migrate doesn't document any of this.

database-migrate.txt contains the precise instructions for bringing
your DB forward, as described in Step 4 on this page:

https://users.emulab.net/trac/emulab/wiki/install/update-testbed.html

What I think you want to try is to take your old DB and drop it into
place on the new boss, and then proceed through database-migrate.txt
one step at a time. You will want to make sure that your boss is not
running any of the testbed daemons before you try any of this. See
Step 0 in the above mentioned document.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Lbs