From: "Keith Sklower" <sklower@vangogh.cs.berkeley.edu>
To: ccui1@tigers.lsu.edu, lahey@isi.edu, sklower@vangogh.cs.berkeley.edu, stoller@flux.utah.edu
Cc: azad@cct.lsu.edu, testbed-admins@flux.utah.edu
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 5:37:39 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Testbed-admins] update need advice regarding "SNMP SET failed"

    From: "Cheng Cui" <ccui1@tigers.lsu.edu>
    Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:25:16 -0500

    Hello guys,

    I want to give more detail on our problem below. The previous problem" SNMP
    GET failed - In /usr/testbed/bin/snmpit" was solved because the boss ip
    (192.168.0.70) is mis-match with the cisco2(192.168.1.1). But now we have
    another problem like "SNMP SET failed":

    *** WARNING: snmpit:
    ***   SNMP SET failed - In /usr/testbed/bin/snmpit
    ***   SNMPIT set failed for device cisco2 (try 10 of 10)
    ***   Variable was [portDuplex,0.5,2,INTEGER]
    ***   Returned (undefined), ErrorNum was 6
    ***   Error string is: noAccess

I have the very strong impression that the Georgia Tech guys
are having the same problem with a different cisco switch type

    For simplicity, I altered our topology design as boss will not be directly
    connected to the Experiment switch.

Since you can do an snmp "get" with the read-write string, I do not believe
that it is a problem with topology or configuration.

At Berkeley, we don't have any cisco switches; on Deter there is one
large switch running CatOS.

I have limited experience dealing with cisco switches, but
I might suggest the following -> if Cisco provides some remote
configuration tool using snmp that you contrive some setup
where you can run tcpdump and snoop on the packet dialog
when you configure the duplex for the port.

For example, the configuration that HP(Procurve) provides is windows based,
and I had to manually set up a bridging bsd node between
two vlans inorder to discover what the magic sequence was for
creating a vlan via SNMP in order to write snmpit_hp.pm.

It's then going to require some hunting through all the cisco mibs
in order to find which one is being consulted.

Good Luck!

Keith Sklower