Re: [Testbed-admins] open_showexplist

I want to grant at least some of my users the ability to see all
running experiments so that they can deal with machine contention
during crunch time.  Looking through the code for showexp_list.php3
eventually led me to the open_showexplist site variable.  I created
a project and set open_showexplist to it, but when I go green dot, I
cannot see the active experiments.  Am I misunderstanding the intent
or usage of this site variable or is there a bug?

Congrats on having the fortitude to make it though showexp_list;
some grungy code in there.

My recollection of what I did is that you create a project and users
that join that project can see the entire experiment list. You want to
give everyone "user" privs in that project when you approve them.

Note that the mechanism assumed people play nicely. If these are
students working on a class assignment, then we want to be sure there
are no holes that would enable them to get root on experimental node
and then dig through the homedir of another user. "user" privs will
prevent them from swapping in an experiment in the holding project.
But still want to be careful; I never thought through the full
implications since it was not too much of a concern here.

By the way, the description of this site variable, "Allow members of
this experiment to view all running experiments on the experiment
list page" should probably say "project" rather than experiment.
The CGI gets kind of cranky when you set it to the name of an
experiment.

Thanks, will fix this.