Re: [Testbed-admins] Fwd: Switch Question

>  From testbed-admins-bounces@flux.utah.edu Fri Feb 13 13:33:26 2009

>  Anyone with enough Nortel experience to provide a clue?

>  Thanks!
>  Lbs

>  } From: Hicham Benzamane <hicham.benzamane@polymtl.ca>
>
>  } We are in process to install Emulab in our lab and we would like to
>  } know if nortel 4500 series are supported by emulab.

>  } Thanks
>  } HB

Nortel switches use one of at least two types of incompatible mibs.
the Alteon family use a different set of snmp commands and variables
than the baystack family.

The only switches I've had my hands are are some very old accellar 1100's,
and current 5510's and 5530's.

It might work; it might not.

Nortel had declared their mibs proprietary and that's why they are
not distributed with emulab.

If this is a switch that he already has, I'll email HB the one mib file
and if he's familiar with the UC davis command line tools, he can
try out it and see whether he can enable or disable ports and set
the speed according to that mib (RAPID-CITY).

If he can, it would make it highly likely that the existing nortel
support could be made to work with 4500's.  If not, he's out of luck.

If the 4500 is a switch he's thinking of buying I would highly recommend
getting an HP switch instead.  As our Nortel's age, they are becoming
progressively more flakey.

Keith Sklower