[gits] importing code from other sources

> Assuming that the remote side isn't just a git repo, I would
>
> + create a "vendor" branch
> + import snapshots from the vendor onto that branch
> + do local work on the master branch
> + as needed, "git checkout master && git merge vendor"

So I guess that git does not allow me to branch a specific
file, does it?

I have two files that I committed at different times, with the
original code. So they have different commit ids. I want to
branch those two files at the base, commit the new files from
the tarfile, and then merge in the differences into HEAD.

So, for two files I can easily just do this the old fashioned
way, but figured I would try to expand my git skills just a
tiny bit, if possible.

Lbs