Free of undefined behaviors is a top promise we made for Csmith. We sure will fix it if the problem in on our end. It will be super helpful if you can pinpoint to the exact undefined behaviors in the generated code.

Thanks,
-Xuejun

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 7:06 AM John Regehr <regehr@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
Hi Xuejun et al.,

Please see the attached Csmith-generated programs and some associated
defect reports. The claim is that Csmith is emitting ill-formed
programs. We should try to figure out what's going on here, and whether
we want to fix things.

John

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: KCC, CSmith and undefined behaviour questions.
Date:   Tue, 7 May 2019 19:25:41 +0300
From:   Radu Ometita <radu.ometita@iohk.io>
To:     John Regehr <regehr@cs.utah.edu>
CC:     Chris Hathhorn <chris.hathhorn@runtimeverification.com>, Philip
Wadler <wadler@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Philip Wadler <philip.wadler@iohk.io>

Hi everyone!

I am coming back with some specific cases where KCC detects undefined
behaviours for C code generated with CSmith (version 2.3.0).

Reading the CSmith paper I found the following paragraph (section 2.2):

"The C99 language [11] has 191 undefined behaviors—e.g., dereferencing a
null pointer or overflowing a signed integer—that destroy the meaning of
a program ... Programs emitted by Csmith must avoid all of these
behaviors or, in certain cases such as argument-evaluation order, be
independent of the choices that will be made by the compiler. Many
undefined and unspecified behaviors can be avoided structurally by
generating programs in such a way that problems never arise. However, a
number of important undefined and unspecified behaviors are not easy to
avoid in a structural fashion. In these cases, Csmith solves the problem
using static analysis and by adding run-time checks to the generated code"

The three runs I am sending appear to be a counter-example to the
paper's claim. Do you agree?

I have attached an archive where each directory is the seed used to
generate the program.c file, and there are <compiler>_compile.txt and
<compiler>_exec.txt with the output from compilation and execution.

Best regards,

*Radu Ometita*
FUNCTIONAL COMPILERS ENGINEER | CLUJ-NAPOCA

Website: www.iohk.io <http://iohk.io>
Skype: rganogork
Twitter: @raduom
PGP Key ID: 0xD82CE70A