Re: [creduce-dev] unifdef

Hi John,

This sounds great!
For nonprocessed code it's sometimes also useful to try and remove includes, see attached pass.
While pass_lines would eventually get rid of them, experience reducing boost examples suggests it's much more efficient to go for the includes as first pass, usually most of them are not required, typically repeats for five-ten levels of nested includes. Maybe this should be merged into unidef or added as its own pass.

Yaron

I just merged the new pass that does partial resolution of ifdefs.

For the 196 transitive include files that come from a C++ hello world on OS X (not making this up) the unifdef pass by itself gives a 57% reduction (in 352 seconds) if we choose -D first and -U second for each CPP symbol.  Reduction is only 45% for -U first (in 518 seconds).  I have no idea if this generalizes but I'm going with -D first for now.

Also I'm putting the unifdef and comment removal passes right up at the front of the phase ordering on the idea that they work well for non-preprocessed code and terminate very quickly if there aren't any ifdefs / comments to remove.  We can revisit this if my idea isn't right.

John